This concert is FREE! But please do consider purchasing a ticket. That helps us pay more players, commission more composers, and make more music.
[Set times are approximate]
- JAKHONGIR SHUKUR Potter’s Wheel, performed by ROBERT BLACK
- JENNIFER WALSHE Happiness Starts Right Now
- MARIA HULD MARKAN SIGFUSDOTTIR Pending, performed by CHI-CHI NWANOKU OBE
- GABRIEL KAHANE Hollywood & Vine, performed by ARLEN HLUSKO
- GREGORY SPEARS A Distant Ridge of Earth, performed by DAVID BYRD-MARROW
- KRISTINA WOLFE new work performed by MOLLY BARTH
- AMIR ELSAFFAR Thaw, for bass clarinet solo, performed by KEN THOMSON
- BORA YOON Postcards from the Pacific
- MATTHEW SHIPP Spaceman’s Blues
- JOEL THOMPSON Supplication and Compensation, performed by ANTHONY ROTH COSTANZO
- ROHAN CHANDER △ or THE TRAGEDY OF HIKKOMORI LOVELESS from FINAL//FANTASY, performed by VICKY CHOW
- DAVID COSSIN A. C. T.
- EVE BEGLARIAN A Solemn Shyness, performed by LARA DOWNES
- INGRID LAUBROCK Inkblots
- MOLLY HERRON Canon No. 4, performed by MAYA STONE
- ALVIN LUCIER Weirs for electric guitar and resonant objects, performed by MARK STEWART
Bang on a Can teams up with WNYC’s New Sounds, hosted by John Schaefer to present its fifth Bang on a Can Marathon – Live Online – on Sunday, February 21, 2021 from 1-5pm ET. All 16 pieces on the program will be world premiere performances of newly commissioned works, streamed from musicians’ homes around the country and across the world. On its first four live online Marathons in 2020, Bang on a Can presented a total of 95 performances, including 31 world premieres of new commissions and over 130 composers and performers. Bang on a Can plans to continue these Marathons, streaming online at live.bangonacan.org, as long as the closure of presenting venues continues, and perhaps beyond. The 4-hour live Marathon will be hosted in part by New Sounds’ John Schaefer along with Bang on a Can Co-Founders and Artistic Directors Michael Gordon, David Lang, and Julia Wolfe, who say:
New Year! New Hope! New Commissions! On February 21, Bang on a Can presents an entire marathon of PREMIERES! 16 brand new works by 16 pioneering composers. Tune in to hear 4 hours of nonconformist, noncommercial, mind-blowing music. Alvin Lucier! Jennifer Walshe! Matthew Shipp! Ingrid Laubrock! Gabriel Kahane! and many many more.
The pandemic is still here. An entire ecosystem of composers and performers needs our attention, our love, and our financial support! All Marathon performers and composers are participating live and being paid by Bang on a Can.